Sunday, December 14, 2008

Winterkingdom

Sleep is good....

not getting sleep is bad.

Hence why I felt like I had been run over by a heard of horses while at Winterkingdom, I was going on about  five hours of sleep from the night before. And the truth of the mater is that it was my own fault, but still, I really wish I could have had more energy to enjoy the event.

I went there scheduled to teach two classes, and to conduct two round table discussions. The Round tables were successful, and my List heraldry class was good. I only had one person, but that is about as much as I usually get, so I'm not complaining. Site heraldry was a bust, but considering what I was up against, I'm not really that surprised.

In terms of heraldry, the event was a dull day. I was asked to heralding twice, and had to decline as I was about to teach a class or run A round table (I promised them I would be there, so they had priority). I felt horrible not being able to help, but what can I do?

But overall, the event was wonderful. Not only did a lot of good people get awards, but the feast was great, and I had the chance to speak with a number of old friends, including some that I hadn't seen in a year or two, and some few ones.

I attended Her Grace Vanessa's "so you want to be King" class. That was a lot of fun, though she picked on me one time. One of her questions to the class was "So, who in here absolutely loves to stand up and speak in public?" Well, the "S" in speak wasn't out of her mouth before her hand was in motion and it landed on my arm soundly. As soon as she finished the question she goes "Be quit, Ivo!" The whole room, including me, was laughing hard at that one. And let me be clear, it was all said in good fun and their are NO hard feelings on that. Vanessa is an inspiration to the north, and if a little humor at my expence is needed to lighten a class up, I will gladly pay the price.

I also had a wonderful chat with her Excelency Deanna della Penna (past queen, if the name dosn't jog your memory). Their wasnt anything teribly substantive spoke of, but it was just a delightful converation, and I am almost always glad to have those.

I must say that it was also wonderful to see Mistriss Catrin again. She has been out of the society for a while now, mostly to health reasons as I understand it, but seems to be in a good positon to return and play again. And I must say, I am verymuch happy to see her out and about again. My early times in the SCA included her being here and there, and telling a funny story, or a  making some friendly comment. her mark wasn't momumental, but it was there, and its good to see her out again.

I think that next year I will likley not be teaching. I spent most of the day going "Wow, I really want to take that class", but I was busy either teaching or watching my son. So, maybe next time I will host a round table or two, and then spend the rest of the day letting somone else do all the work ;)

And who knows, maybe I can get some more court heraldry in, their might be a crown presence next year.

I can hope, can't I?

Lord Ivo Blackhawk
Protege to master Robert Fitzmorgan
Province of Mooneschadowe
Kingdom of Ansteorra
"God Save the King!"







No comments: