Sunday, March 23, 2014

In memory: Terric Jackson

Saturday morning I learned that a good friend had been taken from us too soon.

Terric Jackson was lost in a fire that ultimately claimed the home of Owen and Geneveria . While the rest of the family did escape the blaze, the hole that was left in the collective sole of the family, and even the kingdom, is huge, and will take a great while to heal over.

I have spent the past day trying to collect my thoughts following the news. I would be lying if I said I could make some some sense of it all, because I don't think any sense can be made of this. A mother has lost her child. Two brothers have lost their older sibling. A father has lost his son. And a whole kingdom has lost a young man who was poised to possibly be greater than his father in so many ways.

I wrote this originally for Facebook, but with the responses I got, I figured it was worth adding it to my record here. Like I said, I don't seek answers for the unanswerable. But... maybe a direction out of this nightmare is the better metaphor.

Terric Jackson

I do not pray for those lost, for they are in God's hands.
Is is for us, the living, that I now pray. For it is we who shoulder the weight of loss, the darkness of despair, and the loneliness of an empty place in our lives. 
Terric is at peace, at rest with friends long gone.
But let us now turn our thoughts to those still with us, those next to us, friend and stranger, far and near. For I believe in my heart of hearts that there is still work to the done on this earth, and still friendships to be forged, rivalries to be set aside, lives to be built, and built up, and built upon.
There is work to be done, and it is good work, and it is important work.
~And ironically, much of it is exactly the type of monotonous work that I would expect Terric to be doing with a stupid grin on his face.
For those hurting, I ask peace. 
For those morning, I ask hope.
For those haunted, I ask blessings.  
For those angry, I ask joy.
And for those lost, I ask guidance.
In Christ's name I pray,
Amen.


Lord Ivo Blackhawk
Kingdom of Ansteorra
"God save the King!"

No comments: