Saturday, January 10, 2009

Namron and heraldry

Well, like I have said  before, Namron has its own unique take on the SCA and how to have fun. This is nothing bad, mind you, but when it comes to being different, well, you have different, and then you have Namron, God bless them.

Namron's populace meeting was this past Wednesday, and as always I made a determined effort to get there after work.

There were a couple of things worth mentioning here.

Item one:
Wolfgang, while heralding for their excelencies, pointed out that well more than half of the people in the room were Heralds, of one sort or another. And the meeting was not sparcely populated, so that is saying something.

Now, a short time later, this same man was speaking about the new SCA location for the Norman Medieval Fair (I'm not entierly sure if this link will even work after April of 2009).

Long story short, the SCA will have a larger site, but will be a lot farther from the main gates, and several people were lamenting the lack of "front-row" exposure that we normally would have.

Feeling a little frustrated at this logic, I raised my hand to speak. "Hang on a second, didn't we just say that we had a room half-full of heralds? Why not get the best dressed of us to go our and cry the fair for a little while? Thats what a herald does, isn't it?"

Wolfgang looked at me with somewhat wide eyes and goes "Oh, yeah. That's a good idea."

Item two:
I spoke briefly at the end of the meeting. First, I unremorcefully buttered up my audience. I reminded them that back during Mooneschadoe's own Triumph of the Eclipse III it was four heralds from Namron who heralded the even't namesake. And when some Mooneschadeen complaing to me about this, I asked them if they wanted to herald next year's Triumph, and some of them quite literally went running away from me.

"So, if I ever need site or list heralds in the north, I know where to start my search." I told them proudly. -- Please note, there were a number of people sitting taller, and smiling a little wider after this.

I know this sounds like I am beating up on my own group, but the honest truth of the mater is that a number of our members consider heraldry a necissary evil that they like seeing, but hate doing. And there are others who do like heralding, but are legitimately busy during the event. This is large due to stuff like kitchen, autocrating or taking care of their own children.

Moving on... So I butter up the people there, and then move in for the sale's pitch. At the August 2008 Redtape I volunteered to head up list heralding for Anstoerrian 30th year celebration. Make no mistake about it, some of the earlier reports that I have heard talk about having more people hitting each other at this thing than some small events see through their front gate. So, I told Namron that if anyone wanted to let the kingdom know how truely awsome their barony was, this was going to be an excelent chance to do so.


And Item three:
After the meeting was over, Lord Olando, the Barolian Rapier marshal came up to me and said "Ivo, why don't you come over to a Namron Rapier practice and teach us how to list herald. Most of us just sit around during the heavy fighting anyway, and I'm sure we would love to help if we knew how."

You probably would have thought I had just won the lottery from how much I was grinning after that invitation.

So, the 20th of this month will, God willing, be a good chance for me to teach list heralding to Namron and Wiesenfeuer (they have a joint fighter practice). And it will be nice to reconnect with the rapier fighters, Ive been away from the rapier field a little too long at this point.


Lord Ivo Blackhawk
Protege to Master Robert Fitzmorgan
Province of Mooneschadowe
Kingdom of Ansteorra
"God save the King!"

No comments: