Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Networking

If nothing else, I think that the years of heraldry in the SCA have taught me that most of what we learn and accomplish truly comes from networking. That's not to say that classes and experience don't count for anything, quite the opposite. But in the end, no one had a right to herald. I've seen the most seasoned and veteran court heralds ordered aside for reasons both noble and idiotic. And Rookie heralds pressed to the front of court for much the same. Few if any of my heraldry chances were self-made. Actually, most of them were the result of a friendship, or a chance conversation that I decided to pursue. My decision to go further in heraldry was started by a chance chat with a Golden staff. My Heraldry for and with the Barony of Northkeep was based on the faith and trust that others had in me (namely Lord Kevin and their Excellencies Ian and Kalandra). My reputation on the list field preceded me in Wiesefeuer, and as half of Namron seems to be active duty heralds, it small wonder that I was welcomed there with open arms. I think the real point of my commentary right now is not to reconsider how we do heraldry classes, but rather to press home to heralds and prospective heralds alike that what we say and to with our fellow heralds outside of court or the list is probably just as important as what we say and do in court or the list.
 
Lord Ivo Blackhawk
Protege to Master Robert Fitzmorgan
Nordsteorra Herald
Kingdom of Ansteorra
"God Save the King!"

"Non unus step tergum"

Google Voice - (405) 385-9214

No comments: