Sunday, January 12, 2014

heraldic emergency

So, I'm sitting at home, goofing off, not even thinking about the SCA when I get an IM from our group herald.

There is something potentially wrong with Lady Derega's arms submission.

"Christ have mercy, the last thing we need is a complication now!" I've already submitted the things for her, including cutting my own check rather than making her pay for them.

So, long story short, the way she has them drawn shows the bird more or less from the top down in silhouette. The drawing actually needs to be voltir, which is very clearly a side view, not a top down one.

"Not now!" I said to myself. Never mind that I didn't catch that before, the last thing I needed was to tell my first heraldic client that I botched up the drawing check on her submission.

So, anyway, we wind up holding an emergency "right this minute" pow-wow at Deraga's house with myself and Kazimir, as well as a choice heraldry book from Kaz'es collection.

I don't think any of us are what you want to call "passive" personalities. In fact, the three of us in a room together are three very different, but definitively type-A personalities. So, rather than a calm, sit-down conversation, there was a lot of walking around, a lot of talking and a lot of... enthusiastic conversation as we talked about the college of heralds, heraldic policy, and the percent likelihood that someone in the college would make an issue of this.

Derega wound up fixing the issue herself by adding to the head to make it more of a profile and less of a top-down perspective (sorry, I didn't get a photo). A small change, but if push comes to shove, there is enough there for Kaz and I to argue with in it's favor.

Fortunately, we all walked away happy, and with a good game plan. And, most critical (to me, anyway) no time lost.

Okay, crisis averted. Back to the rest of my life.

Lord Ivo Blackhawk
Kingdom of Ansteorra
"God save the King!"

No comments: