Saturday, January 26, 2008

Back in the trenches...

Today was Queen's champion. And as days go, it was an exceptionally good day for both me and the north of the kingdom.

On personal fronts, I not only heralded a field for the third and fourth rounds of the tournament, but spent the first round teaching the Namron Baronial herald how to list herald. he was no slacker, and within half an hour he had the process down to a science. List heraldry isn't hard, per se, but is tricky, and can get to be a handful if you don't stay on top of it. Wolfgang stayed on top of it, and before long he was on the top of his game all together. For myself, its always good to see someone else pick up the craft, and for Wolfgang, I'm sure he enjoys having the skill down. After the second round, I found him and joked "you know that you now have the second most marketable skill in the SCA, right?"

As for myself, it felt great to be back in the trenches and actually calling a tournament for two rounds. Calling the names, mispronouncing them, doing the salutes, instructing the fighters... you name it. Its in my blood and I am so glad that I had a chance to do it again. I can't let myself get too mixed in with it, I still need to work on managing list heraldry and teaching it, but I certainly will cherish the times I get to call lists fields here and their.

After the tournament ended I went to work on other things, but most notably was spending time talking with Wolfgang about Namron heraldry and maybe getting a chance for me to come in and do some court heraldry. We didn't set anything in stone, it was far, far too early for that, but he sounded happy to talk further about it, and was happy that I was trying to get out and learn more about the court heralds Heraldry.

Also, I spoke at length with Her excellency of Eldern Hills, who was also intrigued about my exploits across the north and my travels to the various baronies. She was very eager to sugest that perhaps I try and attend one or two of their courts during the year. Evidently their herald is well versed in things heraldic, and she said that he would probably be happy to work with me and teach me what he knows. it was all I could do not to try and do backflips after the conversation. This was exactly the type of contact I am tying to establish, and if I become friends with Eldern Hills, that I can truly say that I HAVE worked with all of the baronies of the north.

but lets not get ahead of myself....

On to more general news that is just damn awesome!

The Honorable Lady Therese Maria Giovanni, was finally... after far, far too long a wait, made a member of the white scarfs of Ansteorra.

She did it!

Shes a Friking Dona!

WAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I remember heralding her back when I first started with list heralding, and even back then they were saying that she was well on her way to being a dona. That was over 8 years ago now. I have seen fighters join the SCA and rise to high levels of rank themselves in that same time, and she was still only an Honorable Lady, without the White scarf. Well, now the Dons have finally spoken and Therese's prayers have been answered, as well as the prayers of Northkeep, Mooneschadowe and a lot of the northern Region.

God Bless you, Therese, and good luck!

Lord Ivo Blackhawk
Province of Mooneschadowe
Kingdom of Ansteorra
"God Save the King!"

No comments: