Monday, January 14, 2008

The begining...

I guess if you are the dramatic type, you might call this the opening chapter, and as I am a writer, I guess I would call myself a dramatic type.

I sat down tonight (actually I was doing the dishes) and talked with
my wife about our six month plan. Mine includes a lot of things, but not the least of which is a lot of heraldry.

I never really thought about it before today in specifics, but when I was talking to a friend, I was able to put to words why I am so eager to learn court heraldry. For me, the scene of a person commanding the actions of the court, calling out awards with authority and organizing the madness that is a court's components is what takes me back and makes me think I am in the halls of Westminster or Buckingham palace, hearing the orders and business of a real noble or crown. The ability to take the roles of MC and Parliamentarian and combine them to their root core of a court herald and to be one of the "men of Business" within a Court of Ansteor
ra... that is what lets me live the dream.

At the moment, the most I have done is herald a local level Baronial populace meeting, but that is still a lot more than I had going for me a year ago. My best experience was and still is heralding a Mooneschadowe Populace meeting, which are held Court style. I have also heralded three or four Baronial courts/Populace meetings for Northkeep, as well as a last minute help-out situation with Namron. Still trying to get my feet in the door with Wiesenfeuer, but they have a pretty tight ship and a good officer corp, so its not like they "need" me anyway.


On other fronts, I am puhing ahead hard to teach List heralding and Site heralding to anyone who wants to learn. The truth of the matter is that as far as SCA skills go, these two in combination make an entry level play the most marketable person in terms of what he can do. List heralding is always in demand at any of the north's major events, and Site heralding is always in demand...period. I have a pritty good class down, I just need more students. When i taught it at Winterkingdom I got good reviews from the three peo
ple who attended. But I need more, and right now I'm looking for students.

I have an agenda, and right now that is to get heraldry in the north to a p
oint where it is both a respected skill and a well documented and well taught trade and craft.

Lord Ivo Blackhawk
Province of Mooneschadowe
Kingdom of Ansteorra
"God Save the King!"

No comments: