Thursday, February 7, 2008

Wise words from an old friend

I made it to Namron's Populace meeting last night without any major hassle, and true to form their meeting was part court and part dinner party as the whole groups ate food, talked and tended to business, all at the same time.

However, the real noteworthy thing about the whole meeting for me was a brief chat I had with an old Friend, Master Ulf Gunnarsson. I related to him the details of the 'conversation' I had a few weeks ago with one gentleman I know rather well. The crux of the chat was that this person was convinced that I should not do my podcast (and it was implied that I should stop traveling to all the groups in the north as well) because all I would do is say the wrong thing and embarrass myself and get people mad at me.

Well, Ulf listened to me talk for a bit, and then offered this reply.

"You know, Ivo. I have to agree. You will eventually screw up and get someone mad at you, maybe even a lot of people. But how does doing a podcast change that, and how does that set you apart from anyone else? I mean, you run that risk any time you open your mouth... we all do."

Ulf and I disagree on a great many thing, but true to form, I still count him as a friend, and still treasure his opinion, the above being an excellent example of why. His wisdom, intelligence, respect and experience have made him the type of person that I am proud and fortunate to call a friend.

I was so upset because I wanted to be right, and in a lot of respects I was; I knew I should do my podcast, and I still believe that. But more to the point, I got wrapped around the axle at the idea that someone was convinced that I would screw up, when the fact of the mater is that we all screw up eventually. What sets me apart from a lot of my critics is that, from what i can see, I am making an effort to grow, learn, and use what skills I have, while they are just content to remember me has I was three, five or even eight years ago.


Wise words, wise words indeed Old friend.


Lord Ivo Blackhawk
Province of Mooneschadowe
Kingdom of Ansteorra
"God Save the King!"

No comments: